Monday, July 21, 2008

Event Review: Killswitch Techno Happy Hour at UndergroundSF

I can’t think of the last time I saw a big green laser in Underground SF, but there it was on Friday when the boyfriend and I went to check out the extended Killswitch Happy Hour, drawing various animations and illustrations on the wall by the bar. It wasn’t exactly what I expected, which was just one of the pleasant surprises we came across at this bumpin’ techno weekly.

I met David Javate, one of the residents and promoters behind Killswitch, over a year ago when he and Staple partner Fil Latorre brought Jeno to The Transfer for an excellent night of “future house and deep techno.” I knew they ran a monthly on 3rd Thursdays at Wish, but with that being a school night I so far hadn’t had a chance to check it out. When they started running Killswitch as a Friday happy hour at UndergroundSF I made note and figured I would check it out one day, so when this past week’s installment promised techno until 2AM, I knew the time had come.

So, let’s just get down to it: if you like techno, real techno, you should go to Killswitch. Have a drink and bob to the beats, which have been provided so far by a who’s who of players from the SF techno scene. Hang out and chat with other friendly techno afficianados, who showed up in droves and were still showing up when we left at 11.30 – no bridge and tunnel here, only the real techno heads. The only thing that could have made this night better was if the back patio had been open, but maybe with warmer weather that too shall come to pass.

Killswitch runs from 6-10PM, so you can stop by and have a drink on your way home from work, or on your way to a party that doesn’t get started until 11. David tells me that there will probably be more extended Killswitch parties coming up, so keep an eye on the Friday Night Guide listings and make your plans accordingly.

No comments: