Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Event Review: Fuck Shit, Let's Dance! (FSLD) at Deco Lounge

This past Friday’s installment of Fuck Shit, Let’s Dance! (FSLD) was about all that a boy could ask for in a birthday party, though I wish I had been feeling a bit better from this crummy upper respiratory infection that has been dragging me down for the past two weeks.

For me birthdays are always a time of perspective, an opportunity to look back over the previous year and assess how things had developed, and I’m happy to say that this year’s ruminations were pretty positive. Last year I had set my sights on starting a club night, which has come to pass, and as I looked around Deco on Friday evening I had ample opportunity to think about all the new friends and acquaintances I’ve made over this past year. Even better, there were many people who I had no idea who they were, which only contributed to the feeling that things in my life are still growing and developing.

We had great sets from all participants, with Lord Kook tag-teaming with both Jovino and Kenvulsion during different parts of the night, and I think overall it was the most consistent vibe we’ve had yet. I especially enjoyed the old-school techno that Ken brought, which still sounds remarkably fresh and deep when you put it up against contemporary tracks.

Yesterday I ran into my friend Chickpea, who told me he’d been at a potluck in the East Bay where some boys were talking about going to a rave at Deco. Puzzled, he dug a little deeper and found out that they were talking about coming to FSLD. Well, it’s not quite a rave, but we’re trying. In June we’re taking a break to do Mr. for Gay Pride, and then in July we’re coming back with a slightly different format in mind, but still with techno, tech-house, and minimal as the main choices on the musical menu. We know where we want to go, it’s just a question of how to get there from here, and I have faith that next year’s birthday party will find us having successfully arrived.

No comments: