Thursday, June 14, 2007

Your Friday Guide for June 14, 2007

Well, what a crazy week this has been for yours truly. Normally I spend lots of time scouring through all the flyers and online listings to snoop out the interesting stuff, but this week there's been so much going on that I've not been able to ferret out much beyond the ordinary. However, if things go well tonight I may have something to share with you all that I hope will explain what's been occupying my time so much. Gee, I am such a tease.

Weeklies and Bar Nights

Charlie Horse at the Cinch
Best place to go out and have a cheap drink while being entertained by drag queen antics. Recently voted Best Drag Show in San Francisco by the SF Weekly! Music by DJ Dirty Knees and Bearzbub is more rock and new-wave oriented, but at least it won't interfere with your conversation. Check out my latest review of Charlie Horse at The Cinch.

Fag Fridays at The EndUp
Reliable, not all that exciting, but it's gay and you can stay until 6AM. Expect to pay around $20 to get in and to dance to pretty typical San Francisco deep house.

FUK Werk Fridays Happy Hour at 111 Minna TIS NO MORE. Got the word today from one of the BABD kids that they were just having too many issues with the space of the sort I mentioned in my review (esp. the bad sound part). Check out my review of Fuk Werk Fridays.

Editorial Aside: after some email with the above-mentioned BABD associate today I think these kids warrent further checking out, especially their FilterSF party scheduled for next Saturday. Certain circumstances involved with trying to break into the cabal of the SF music scene may have led to some unfortunate marketing decisions of the sort I brought up in my dicussion of their Tabu Sky Bar flyers, but I think they're overall good kids who are set on bringing some new blood into the scene, so let's go out and support them.

One Offs and Monthlies

The Jaded Gay DJ Recommends: Rhythm Society All Night Dance Celebration
If you ain't got an invite from a member you ain't goin', but this is certainly where I would like to spend my Friday night if I didn't have a damned class all weekend long. Check out my review of the last Rhythm Society event.

Glitterbox
The poster says "from the same souls who brought you Litterbox and Mad Magda's in the gay '90's." My stylist raves about the fun he used to have at Litterbox, and while I don't recognize the DJs Funkyard and Natureboy, the imagery is awfully glittery. With a special reception for Alexis Arquette following the premiere of her film at Frameline.
$5 before 10, $10 after
9PM - 3AM
The Cat Club, 1190 Folsom x 8th.

Okay kids, that's it for Friday, not much but maybe you just need to hang out and play some Scrabble with your significant other for a change, okay? And don't forget, next weekend is Gay Pride! Oh, the partying, the partying.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Scrabble? We finally get to play SCRABBLE?!?!? Oh, man, I'm wetting my pants with excitement, here. Seriously, I've been waiting for this moment (cue the slap-reverb) for alllll my liiiiiife.

Oh lawd. :Dk