Tuesday, April 17, 2007

CD Review: NIN's "Year Zero" from the NY Times

Ah Trent, Trent, Trent. In the 90s I thought you were oh-so-hot, and now you look like Henry Rollins. Bleah. Feel kinda the same way about the music. I first heard NIN open for The Jesus and Mary Chain at a dumpy club in Charlottesville VA. I didn't know who Nine Inch Nails were, but when I heard "Head Like a Hole" coming from the stage area I had to leave the bar and see what was up. I moshed through the rest of the set and bought the album the next day. After The Downward Spiral I really stopped paying attention to NIN, as I had other things to occupy me. With this new album it seems like Trent is trying to recapture some of the dark, paranoid, technological dystopia that was all the rage in the 90s and fueled the nascent Industrial movement, but now seems positively nostalgic - oh honey, remember when we were worried about militias and the New World Order? That's pretty much the thrust of this New York Times review and I'm with them all the way.

No comments: