Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Open Thread: A New Gay Paradigm?

So the jaded gay DJ is feeling a bit blue lately, mainly around my own inability to figure out why I have such a lousy time every time I go out to gay clubs. Sure, I generally don't like the music, and I'm not there to pick up, which leaves open the question of why I go to these things at all. Part of it is a desire for completeness, to just see what's going on, who is doing what, and maybe come across something that will re-kindle my belief that gay boys really can be at the forefront of new cultural moments. Lately, though, it seems that there are really only two, maybe three versions of "gay club night," which might be encompassed, regardless of age, body type, or class, as "circuit party," "retro party," "drag party," with maybe a bit of "rock-and-roll" party popping up in the last two. At all of these parties the emphasis is on getting fucked up, and getting laid. So, really, is that all there is? Does the gay scene seem as limited and unimaginative to you all as it does to me, or am I just becoming more and more like one of the crusty old men who sits up in the balcony at The Muppet Show? Have we lost the ability to do anything more than endlessly recycle the same paradigms, or am I seriously missing something that's going on? I put this out there to you all who click on my Gay Scene label; what is your appraisal of the state of San Francisco's gay scene, and what, if anything, would you like to see that's different? Please either confirm for me that I've finally become the curmudgeon I've always feared I would become, or relieve me by letting me know that I'm not the only one who feels a vague sense of disappointment in what the capital of gay America has to offer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What I really want to see is more events/clubs where people are there to DANCE, as opposed to hook up or show off trendy outfits.

Lots of times I feel like I have to make the unfortunate choice between chasing good music or being around the gays. I wish the two came together more often!